Whether you are a local resident or you are visiting Virginia Beach on vacation, your kids will inevitably announce that they are bored going to the beach. After all, how many sand castles can they make? Luckily, this is an area where fun abounds. Here are ten Family-Friendly Things to do Near Virginia Beach.
Family-Friendly Things to do Near Virginia Beach: On The Boardwalk
The Virginia Beach Boardwalk stretches three miles along the shore and is dotted with outdoor stages, clean restrooms, and whimsical sculptures.
- Rent a bike or a four-seat canopied surrey and explore the boardwalk, traveling on the special bike path. Cherie’s Bike Rentals has six locations on the boardwalk and the rental prices are reasonable.
- You don’t need a license to fish off the Virginia Beach Fishing Pier. Located at 15th St. and Atlantic Avenue, the pier has rods for rent and sells bait in the tackle shop.
- Be A Pirate for a day. Jump aboard Captain Jack’s Pirate Ship Adventures. Sail the high seas searching for stolen treasure while ducking streams of water during the water cannon fight.
- Play mini golf. There are several mini golf parks along the boardwalk. On rainy days head over to King Neptune’s 3D Glow-in-the-Dark mini golf course. It is located inside an air-conditioned building where the walls glow with underwater scenes.
Your family will be artistically inspired taking a fun class at Hinterland Trading on Baker Road in Virginia Beach. A terrarium workshop will engage your children’s creative side as they make an air plant and sea life themed terrarium. Find your own inspiration making an air plant terrarium, terra-cotta planter, or burlap wreath.
Wet and Wild Thrills
- Splashy thrills await at Ocean Breeze Waterpark on General Booth Boulevard in Virginia Beach. Ten slides, a lazy river full of waterfalls, waves, and tipping buckets, a million-gallon wave pool, plus a pint-sized water area for the little kids provides plenty of wet thrills and fun for the entire family.
- Atlantic Fun Park at 15th and Atlantic Streets will keep adults, teens, toddlers, and every kid in-between screaming with their thrill rides, family rides, kiddie rides, and a 100 foot Ferris Wheel. Keep the thrills going by visiting their go-kart park, Motor World.
Animals and Sea Life
- Five hundred animals live on 53 acres of beautiful landscaped grounds at the Virginia Zoological Park in Norfolk. View lions, tigers, bears, and monkeys in their natural habitats. Take a Behind-The-Scenes Experience to feed a giraffe or enjoy a fun journey around the zoo aboard a miniature train ride.
- Swim over to the Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center on General Booth Blvd in Virginia Beach to commune with loggerhead turtles, harbor seals and sand tiger sharks. The more adventurous in your family will enjoy flying on zip lines, climbing challenging bridges, and playing on the super jungle gym at the aquarium’s Adventure Park.
Aircraft and Space history glide above your head at the Virginia Air and Space Center in Hampton, Virginia. Visit the hands-on gallery to learn the history of flight, watch an Imax Movie, or experience an out-of-this-world thrill aboard the flight simulator. Stop at the glass-enclosed roundhouse to ride the wooden ponies of the antique 1920 Hampton Carousel.